Total Pageviews

Thursday 23 February 2012

Island life !!!

Well here I am back again. The days seem to fly by and suddenly a week has gone by. My days are spent in the hospital which is right next to my little 3 bed cottage, very basic but all mine and free thanks to the Knights of Malta. I helped deliver a baby by C section yesterday. The incision was made at the tummy button and then cut down. In hot countries if you are overweight this is considered more hygienic as you could get infections in the rolls of fat in a hot climate going left to right. I assisted in a cataract operation, unbelievable. You put a needle and thread through the eye ball to hold the lid open and then with a scalpel you make an incision into the eyeball and cut a hole big enough for what looks like an ear bud with cotton wool on it. You put that into the incision and just clean out the cataract. Then you insert a very small contact lens under the outer layer and Bobs your uncle. Fifteen minutes later the man walk out (all done under local anaesthetic, ouch !) and he can begin to see the next day and read the papers. So interesting. Then I walk down alone the coastal track to the school (Anidan) which takes me around 45 minutes. Then my English classes start at 7.00pm. I teach 3 classes. Form 5, 12 year olds then form 7, 14 to 15 year old and then class 8, 16 to 17 year olds. Luckily I have very good text books to give me direction. I am told I am doing quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment