Total Pageviews

Thursday 8 December 2011

Well shoot me please like a lame husky on a South Pole expedition. I was lying in bed last night and my little feet were a bit cold so I slipped on some lovely woolly hiking socks. Then I looked at the chair beside my bed  and AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH there was a bottle of pills a jar of face cream and a half eaten banana still in its skin. I have become my grandmother. The only thing missing was a pair of false teeth sitting in a whisky glass. Lying in bed with a pair of dirty glasses perched on the end of my nose curled up reading a book (actually an I pad TWO) wearing a pair of socks, if I am like this at 53 what will I be like at 85 ?? We had a patient in yesterday at the outpatients ward but sadly he died before we got to see him. So I sewed him up into some sheets and he was taken away and hopefully up to heaven. Then 3 days ago a patient came in with the worst bed sore I have ever seen and he was very ill. I have sat and held hands with over 20 people and prayed with them as they passed on to the next world. This man was dying without a shadow of a doubt. I held his hand which was like ice and he was gasping for breath. I dabbed some water onto a gauze and moistened his lips as they were starting to get cracked. I priest was called as were 2 sisters and he was given the last rights as the sisters prayed for him. I went in the next morning and he was sitting up chatting, quite extraordinary and a lovely story. I dressed all his sores today and his hands and feet were full of warm blood. There are 2 new volunteers. One a Spanish boy called Galci who works with the children and is brilliant. He is 21 and wants to become a nurse working with mental patients, although I sat up with him late last night with him telling me of all the mind altering drugs he has taken in his life, this man is a professional researcher into his future subject. Stephen has gone to visit his parents for 2 weeks in Australia and so the ever kindly Hughes family have asked me to stay on Saturday with all my laundry, On bliss and how our priorities change.

No comments:

Post a Comment