Total Pageviews

Tuesday 13 December 2011

Friday morning, I did my rounds with my trolley full of bandages, creams, lotions and potions and finished up dressing my friend who we all thought were going to die 2 days ago. The hole in his back is bigger now and there must have been about half a pint of green puss had come out and had socked the sheets. The smell of necrotic flesh is still in my nostrils 2 days later. I took a scalpel and cut away the dead flesh, poured some iodine into his hole after have cleaned it with Savlon and Hydrogen peroxide first and then covered it up. Then his missing buttock which from a side angle looked exactly like a side of beef. All I kept thinking about was those Chilean passengers on the jet that crashed into the Andes who resorted to cannibalism. It really did look like a Sunday joint, but I would have been very pushed to eat any. He was looking much better but the smell was horrendous. Just as I finished cleaned him up and doing his dressing he defecated with an unusual amount of energy for someone in such a sorry state, so I had to start all over again. Poor man. Friday lunch time I went out for my physio session and when I arrived back my poor lovely man whom I had just looked after has passed away 10 minutes earlier. A much happier man now than he was at the start of the day. God in his infinite wisdom had decided the time was right for him to go th heaven. Another of my patients has a swollen knee which the doctor lanced with a scalpel 3 weeks ago. Every day I have to take his dressing off and squeeze out the dead blood. You know its useless blood because it is full of congealed bits and puss. I extract about a quarter of a pint a day. He is so weak and hardly eats anything. I think he will leave us in the next week. He is so patient with me as I squeeze and squeeze. I just want to get as much poison out of his body as possible to make him better but I fear he is beyond saving. We lost 2 more patients this week, one from HIV and one from TB. Other than that it was a good week, the sun is out everyday, not that we see a lot of it. I do at lunch time but the rest of the time we are inside, but its lovely for the patients to be able to lie lizard like in the sun soaking up the heat. I met a lovely English man from Sheffield called Tony at the Born Free foundation whose wife works at the German Embassy and asked me for lunch on Wednesday. What a haven of tranquillity as we drove into the Embassy compound. Manicured lawns, every colour of Jacaranda tree you can imagine. There are 8 houses in the grounds and Tony has one. We sat on the veranda with a friend of theirs who is a welsh photographer who photographs for Non Governmental Organisations down here, lovely man and ate the most Delicious curry with home made nan, num num. Friday night a girl I met with Andrew and Francoise who works as a finance director of a German company down here called Sonia and I went out to a very fancy Italian restaurant called Castelli's. When we walked into the restaurant we were met by pictures of Bill Clinton, Brad and Angeline (they were probably here picking up to add to their brood) Sir Bob and other grand people, so we knew we were in the right place. Wonderful salad, fresk tagliatelle with white truffles, fresh gambas, num num !!!. Then because the gates at Mother Teresa close at 9.00 pm she let me stay in a lovely room in the basement of her house. Rat free and so comfortable.

1 comment:

  1. Piers,
    I am amazed and deeply impressed by your blog. You seem to be keeping quite busy one way or another - though that doesn't quite cover it.
    Love and very best wishes to you, your work and those you are caring for.
    Simon

    ReplyDelete