Total Pageviews

Friday 25 November 2011

I was at Mass this  morning and as usual my mind was wondering off the subject in hand and was thinking how lucky it is to be a nun as when you wake up the one less decision you have in the day unlike the rest of us mere mortals is what to wear. Simple, one outfit, bliss.
Well my back is improving with the help of my wonderful physio Jemila. She pulls and twists and bends me in ways I never thought possible. I am feeling 100 times better. I can almost stand up without pain. I can work in the morning but have only managed 2 afternoons this week. Otherwise after my morning shift I will lie down and sometimes not get up until the next day. Sounds lazy but the day goes pretty slowly. The lovely Huges have lent me a dozen movies which I can watch on my lap top attached to my speakers its like watching TV. I am currently ready 5 books so my classic reading will be very much improved whence I return. Thursday night Francoise, Andrew, Stephen and 4 friends of theirs and I went out to a Greek restaurant to celebrate Thanksgiving day. Not very good food but a great fun evening. Tonight Stephen my Australian mate and myself are going out to an Italian restaurant with a couple of girls from the British Embassy so no videos or electronic books tonight. Hopefully some pasta which the Ethiopians are very good at cooking, a legacy of Il Dulce and some wine. This morning is cold and overcast as it has been for the last 3 days. A lovely Englishman called Colin who was at the Thanksgiving dinner the other night asked me to join him for lunch on Wednesday to meet his fellow Rotarian's. Well a free lunch seemed like to good an invitation to turn down so I did not. In the cold light of Friday Andrew informed me that I had agreed to address them on a subject of my choosing !! Aaahhh. Damm these wine fueled evenings.To quote the Sisters favorite expression, What to Do ? I am deep in my favorite catholic inspiration Sarah Macmillan very kind parting gift to me, Catholicism for Dummies. I can highly recommend it, I am learning so much and realise just how bad my knowledge of my catechism is, not any longer ! I have just spoken to the head honcho Sister Seraphim this morning and asked if I can be sent out to another project just for a change of scenery. I am sure that if there are no volunteers here there certainly wont be any there but that's OK. I just have to be back by the 20th as my friend Alice Murphy will be joining my on the 22nd so I want to get back with a couple of days to spare so to be sure to be able to meet her at the airport and settle her into her hotel.. It really is such a different atmosphere here this year compared with last year. No mates to go and have a beer with. No one to sit down with in the evening and de brief about your days work. Its all very well seeing people from the outside but its very hard for them to comprehend what you are going through emotionally and physically. A lovely old man we have been looking after died yesterday. He weighed about three and a half stone, no teeth and was allegedly 115 years old, so no great surprises there. We had 3 other deaths this week so I think I spoke a little to soon about the low death rate last week. Anyway they are in a much better place right now and are sitting with God in heaven without pain and suffering. Anyway off to work now.

No comments:

Post a Comment