Total Pageviews

Thursday 8 March 2012

Lamu magic

My day consists of getting up around 7.00 am and then doing household chores. Then I walk to the hospital which is about a one minute walk away. There I am working on a project in which we work out the Body Mass Index of HIV sufferers and then work out a food supplement program for them. If you are taking Antiretovirals and you don't have a certain body weight they will not be affective, so you have to make sure the client (as they are called so as not to stigmatise them by calling them patients) has a certain body mass. Then I go back to my house and have a shower and a lie down for an hour. Then I leave for the orphanage which is about a 50 minute walk away. There I have 3 classes I teach English to. I teach year 5, 7 and 8, so aged from 11 to 18. I have some very comprehensive text books which make my job very easy., although Mr Patel who wrote these books has not got a fully comprehensive grasp of the language. My last class finishes at 9.15 pm and then I get an armed security guard to walk me home through the mangroves back to my house. It is still concidered a dangerous place, I dont feel it is which probably means I shall get killed tonight. Sometimes if I am too tired and a guard is not available for 20 minutes I get my sheath knife in my left hand and a torch in my right hand and off I go alone. I have never felt threatened at all. Everyone you meet en route home says Jambo (hello), fingers crossed !! I then sometimes stop on the way home and there is a really lovely lady who always has a huge wok of boiling oil on the go and it is filled with cooking poyayoes and falafel

No comments:

Post a Comment